Re: Why not just use S/MIME or GPG signatures?

2003-10-11 23:07:09
On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 05:47:42AM -0700, Mr. Ned wrote:

Could we all agree using your home or roaming computer to talk directly
to any SMTP destination in the world is still a legitimate and sometimes
useful thing, and is perfectly compatible with any SPF filtering scheme

I almost agree.

I do agree that it's a legitimate and useful thing to do.

I disagree that it's compatible with spf.  Most isp's and corporate networks
filter outbound traffic on tcp/25.

Corporates can, well, do what they like. Don't let's encourage ISPs to do
likewise, though -- we should certainly work on the assumption that the
original poster is correct.

And I don't quite see how ISPs implementing dubious filtering practices makes
people's running their own mail servers incompatible with SPF.

Cheers,

Nick