Re: updates from Foo Camp

2003-10-14 14:10:24
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 03:55:46PM -0500, Dustin Trammell wrote:

| Perhaps now is a good time to try to get some of the Australian ISP's
| on-board?
| http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/13/1065917342993.html

Good idea.  Anyone know anyone at Telstra?

I did a short presentation on SPF at Foo Camp.  I started by making this
observation:

How many hardcore spammers are there?  Some say only 200.

How many hardcore antispammers are there?  Way, way more than 200.

This makes us antispammers look stupid.  A community of maybe 20,000
smart geeks can't handle a problem caused by only 200 bad guys?

Vixie calls this "asymmetric warfare".  The parallel is
guerilla/terrorist action: a single bad guy can build a car bomb at
home, drive it into an embassy, and blow up a committee of diplomats.
The good guys need to bring in helicopters, tanks, a whole command
hierarchy and a supply chain from toothpaste to toilet paper, and that's
even before they start doing anything in the field.

So obviously SMTP is flawed.

We need to tilt the playing field back in our favour.

That tilting process will hurt .forwards and traveling mailmen.  But
times are changing, and forwarding companies and traveling mailmen have
to change with the times.