Re: Alternatives to DNS for SPF?

2003-10-20 00:02:24
Russell Kroll <rkroll(_at_)exploits(_dot_)org>:
This doesn't seem too bad, but it does raise the question of whether we're
shoving too much stuff into the MTA.

I thought about this, and there occurred to me an excellent reason this is
appropriate.  If a site's MTA has policy information about which IP addresses
can send mail through it, the MTA *itself* can use that information

Personally, I don't mind having to run another daemon for something like
this, but I also see that most admins would probably object to it.

Yes.  I think deploying a new service would be far more difficult than
deploying an SMTP extension.

I'd like to supply a TTL somewhere so the client could cache it.  This
would obviously require some kind of process to remember such things on
the client side of the network, but it would minimize the load.

Reasonable.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt