Re: what to do upon syntax error?

2003-10-24 10:52:08
What do we do if we see

   "v=spf1 a mx default=deny default=allow"

?

Should SPF parsers:
1) declare a syntax error and abort returning unknown?
2) use the first value?
3) use the last value?

Well, my preference on this would be to use the "default=allow" portion.  And
here is my reasoning

In my IPCHAINS configuration if I do this
-A input -s 192.168.0.1 -d 0/0 -p tcp -j ACCEPT
-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 -p tcp -y -j REJECT
It will default to the reject, except for the exact IP match.... I see the
above example as sort of the same thing.  Although, I
would agree that it is probably not a **good** use of the spf protocol.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt