Re: what to do upon syntax error?

2003-10-24 09:37:57
On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:25:40PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
| - 2.1: needs mention of what SPF clients should do if there's more than
|   one TXT record on the domain -- presumably they should pick the first
|   TXT record to begin with "v=spf${VERSION}" where ${VERSION} is a version
|   of SPF they can grok?

I'll introduce concatenation:

I believe the question also applies to completely irrelevant TXT entries,
but those would return in a syntax error and thus "unknown" anyway.

What do we do if we see

   "v=spf1 a mx default=deny default=allow"

?

Should SPF parsers:
1) declare a syntax error and abort returning unknown?
2) use the first value?
3) use the last value?

Never the last, with left-to-right parsing there is never a state where
allow is included in any valid syntax. The second option would apply is
there was some sort of "when the syntax becomes invalid, use the part of the
syntax at the last point of parsing when it was valid", which sounds complex
and confusing. I'd go for the first, it will be much easier to debug by
implementors and they can easily be pointed to the "default can only occur
once" part of the RFC.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "In the name of sheer pity, won't someone operate on
cap(_at_)capsi(_dot_)com | Chairman Arafat and put that poor cancer into a

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com