Re: A records

2003-11-29 10:48:48
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:16:37PM +0000, Mark wrote:

| ... IN TXT  "v=spf1 +mx -all report(_at_)ñÁAÍ°¶Ä3¾O̪éßø"
|
| Pardon my ignorance in these matters, as I am rather new to this, but in the
| new draft I, again, encountered this:
|
| 3.2.0.192.in-addr._spf.example.com
|
| I thought they had done away with spf in-addr-arpa records? I got the
| distinct impression that, from now on, everything would be done with the
| single TXT record. Am I mistaken?

The macro notation and the "exists" mechanism combine to make a number
of things possible.

Suppose you're happily running with "v=spf1 a mx -all".

You wake up one morning and decide you want to know who's trying to
forge your address.  You change the record:

  "v=spf1 a mx exists:ip.%{i}.u.%{u}._spf.example.com -all"

Because there's nothing defined in the _spf domain, the "exists"
mechanism is guaranteed to not match.  But every time a bad guy forges
mail to an SPF receiver, your DNS logs will show it.

Suppose you find out that it's not a bad guy forging mail --- it's your
CEO.  You can set up a specific record to let the CEO get SPF approval,
and keep denying everybody else.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.6.txt