Re: on CAs as reputation providers; an argument for metric-based reputation services

2003-12-08 17:17:34
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:06:41PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| This is a combinatorics problem, 50 million domain names, 10 global cas if
| that. Clearly there is a reputation issue. I don't want a verisign cert with
| extensive validation to be worth no more than a bucket shop ca cert where
| the end entity is not validated beyond checkin payment clears.
|
| The real issue is whether the accreditaion system is open. If people can
| list the accreditations they have accumulated feedback filters will quickly
| converge on giving them the correct weight.

Validation implies revocation --- if a VeriSign customer turns out to be
a spammer, what's the punishment?  Do you refuse to renew them?  If the
renewal period is 1 year, they could spam for the rest of that year with
impunity.

I'm probably not seeing something obvious.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt