Re: on CAs as reputation providers; an argument for metric-based reputation services

2003-12-13 03:33:34
On Friday 12 December 2003 7:29 pm, marrandy wrote:
What has this to do with the SPF system ?

The thread was discussing the proper relationship between a sender
authentication scheme (which SPF is) and sender reputation schemes.

My view was that SPF is correctly making as few assumptions as possible with
respect to the design of such a reputation scheme. This was challenged as
wrong in preference to integrating a one-size-fits-all reputation scheme into
the authentication system. Or at least that is the impression I got.

The supposedly 'offtopic' discussion (on my part at least) was an attempt to
explain the political difficulty of establishing common requirements for a
reputation scheme. Difficulties which would present a barrier to SPF's
adoption if any form of reputation scheme was 'welded into it'.