Re: on CAs as reputation providers; an argument for metric-based reputation services

2003-12-12 12:19:01
Dan Boresjo <dan(_at_)boresjo(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
On Thursday 11 December 2003 9:43 pm, Philipp Morger wrote:
That's not true - that only a sympthom of a capitalistic culture.

How can it be untrue and a symptom of a capitalistic culture at the same time?

Actually, he's sort of right.  In "non-capitalistic" cultures, crime
is somewhat less concentrated in poor neighborhoods because (a) even the
well-off people are poor by U.S. standards, (b) usually, the system is run
by an exceedingly corrupt nomenklatura, and (c) there basically isn't
any social mobility.

I'm not speaking theoretically.  I lived for years in such places,
including both Third World countries and two Western European
countries I won't name.  I have visited many others.  Often, they
think they are more "progressive" than the U.S. -- but their people
live harder, they die younger, their crime and suicide rates are
higher (yes, *higher*), their native populations are in demographic
free-fall because they aren't having kids any more, and their
brightest people tend to split for the U.S. as soon as they can.

They're pretty effective advertisements for capitalism, actually.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt