Re: on CAs as reputation providers; an argument for metric-based reputation services

2003-12-08 20:22:42
Credential Revocation is possible but an expensive to execute. The cert
hoder has to be empirically in breach of the agreement or have made a
provably fraudulent statement. It does happen but the costs are very large,
not something that you can allow to be routine if you are going to have a
mass market price.

But the technical mechanisms for revocation can also support reputation
publishing see xkms.

We can run xkms on atlas, same reach and capacity as dns no capacity issues

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Meng Weng Wong
Sent:   Mon Dec 08 16:17:52 2003
To:     spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject:        Re: [spf-discuss] on CAs as reputation providers; an

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 01:06:41PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| This is a combinatorics problem, 50 million domain names, 10 global cas if
| that. Clearly there is a reputation issue. I don't want a verisign cert
with
| extensive validation to be worth no more than a bucket shop ca cert where
| the end entity is not validated beyond checkin payment clears.
|
| The real issue is whether the accreditaion system is open. If people can
| list the accreditations they have accumulated feedback filters will
quickly
| converge on giving them the correct weight.

Validation implies revocation --- if a VeriSign customer turns out to be
a spammer, what's the punishment?  Do you refuse to renew them?  If the
renewal period is 1 year, they could spam for the rest of that year with
impunity.

I'm probably not seeing something obvious.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt