RE: on CAs as reputation providers; an argument for metric-based reputation services

2003-12-08 14:06:41
I agree with much of what meng says, running a ca is not a trivial task if
done properly.

I don't have time to give a full account of my busines here. Suffice to say
that anyone can create certificates for free there is even a program in
windows that does this

The expensive part is providing an assurance that the cert is accurate. Yes
there is a littigation risk and that is why I regularly speak at legal
conferences on ca littigation issues.

This is a combinatorics problem, 50 million domain names, 10 global cas if
that. Clearly there is a reputation issue. I don't want a verisign cert with
extensive validation to be worth no more than a bucket shop ca cert where
the end entity is not validated beyond checkin payment clears.

The real issue is whether the accreditaion system is open. If people can
list the accreditations they have accumulated feedback filters will quickly
converge on giving them the correct weight.