Re: An additonal macro character?

2003-12-10 08:09:56
No -- I meant the original domain of the sender as was received on the 'MAIL FROM:' command. This could be different to the domain of the from: field in the message.

SPF does not make any assertions about when the checks are performed (true?). My current scripts operate at message delivery time (using the qmail equivalent of procmail). Yes, I intend to move it earlier in the processing....

Philip

Mark wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Gladstone" <philip-spf(_at_)gladstonefamily(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 3:03 PM
Subject: [spf-discuss] An additonal macro character?

Thinking about how SPF might be deployed, I think that it would be
used to know the original domain of the sender (rather than the
current domain).

Do you mean the original IP? For that, you would need to make SPF checks at
the end of the DATA phase, so that you can do SPF checks against the
original IP as well (in case of a "fail" on the immediate sender IP),
extracted from the Received headers. That would take care of the forwarding
problem too, but consumes bandwidth, as you need to sit out the DATA ride. I
would not have minded that, though, if the protocol allowed for a "second
pass" SPF phase at the end of the DATA phase, if you get a "fail" on the
first phase.

-

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt