Re: An additonal macro character?

2003-12-10 11:40:53
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Gladstone" <philip-spf(_at_)gladstonefamily(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 4:10 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] An additonal macro character?

Thinking about how SPF might be deployed, I think that it would be used
to know the original domain of the sender (rather than the current
domain).

Do you mean the original IP? For that, you would need to make SPF checks
at the end of the DATA phase, so that you can do SPF checks against the
original IP as well (in case of a "fail" on the immediate sender IP),
extracted from the Received headers. That would take care of the
forwarding problem too, but consumes bandwidth, as you need to sit out
the DATA ride. I would not have minded that, though, if the protocol
allowed for a " second pass" SPF phase at the end of the DATA phase, if
you get a "fail" on the first phase.
<
No -- I meant the original domain of the sender as was received on the
'MAIL FROM:' command. This could be different to the domain of the from:
field in the message.

Ah, I see. But that implies checking after the DATA phase too (or at
eoh_callback; but since eoh_callback is not really the end of an official
SMTP phase, as it is part of DATA, I do not think it is allowed to pop out
4/5.x codes at that point).

SPF does not make any assertions about when the checks are performed
(true?). My current scripts operate at message delivery time (using the
qmail equivalent of procmail). Yes, I intend to move it earlier in the
processing....

Since SpamAssassin 2.70 will, reportedly, integrate SPF too, it seems fair
to say you are right in assuming SPF could be done at delivery time too (as
long as you still have HELO available too).

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,