RE: Is it RFC yet?

2003-12-15 13:12:13

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

I strongly advise that the group either ignore the IETF -
the approach we
took with the Web until it was popular enough for us to
ignore clueless IESG
demands such as merging with Gopher, or alternatively take
the work to
another standards group.

I think we can take some shortcuts.

I've yet to see anyone I've spoken with offlist say "let's
wait for the
RFC". The standard seems stable enough for use, and people
are already
putting it into action (my hosting provider, for example,
implemented it
today). The wonders of Open Source mean that we don't need
big companies
on board to get the solution out there.

Let's just do it ;)

I agree, but don't discount the help you can get from big companies.

What we have to avoid here is a split like the one that hit secure email.
Pretty much every serious email client has native support for S/MIME. The
geek choice on the other hand is PGP. There is no reason at all we cannot
all use one standard except for politics and people's egos.

What is to be avoided at all costs here is letting people believe that SPF
is somehow waiting on ratification by the IETF. That is the potential
killer.

                Phill