Re: Current SPF accuracy figures from my mail spool

2003-12-17 11:21:42
Speaking of small lists, there is a little-known feature of sendmail that rewrites the sender based on the aliases file.

myalias: <definition1>
owner-myalias: <definition2>

When sending to myalias, sendmail notices that "owner-myalias" exists and rewrites the sender to be the definition of the owner alias. So mail to myalias(_at_)mydomain will be rewritten as if it were from definition2(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)

Most mailing lists rewrite the sender anyway, because they don't want bounces going to the original sender. But for those that don't, if sendmail is in the path, this info might be useful.

gregc

--On Wednesday, December 17, 2003 1:01 PM -0500 Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:59:03PM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:

| But in terms of SPF failures -- 2.2229% of my nonspam mail is failing the
| SPF test.  That's 32% of all messages with an SPF record available. :(
|
| As far as I can tell, this is because of mailing lists, including Yahoo!
| groups and a couple of small-scale lists, and the .forward situation, all
| of which are relaying a message and preserving the envelope from.

That's a very interesting analysis, thanks for posting it.

I thought yahoo groups sets their own sender domain.

Can you share the details of the small lists and .forwards?  Do the
.forward accounts belong to you or does the forwarding happen earlier up
the chain?

We are probably an anomalous sample --- average users don't come within
3 degrees of a .forward file.

subscription,  please go to