Re: how blacklisting will work in the future: pki accreditation

2004-01-12 18:19:08
On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 09:11:19AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| I propose adding a mechanism to SPF to allow accreditation records to be
| advertised. An acreditation record could work using the same DNS hack as
| current day blacklists.
| [...]
| The prefix is there to allow existing accreditation data from PKI
| certificates to be used as the basis for an accreditation. VeriSign has half
| a million DNS addresses which we have spent a lot of time an money
| authenticating the owner of. Obviously the fact that a party can get a class
| 3 certificate does not mean that they are a spammer, but the fact that any
| party is willing to give an honest address at which legal process can be
| served certainly reduces the probability that they are a spammer.

I think something like this would be great; it would be very valuable to
leverage the millions of domain registrations that already exist.

This solves the small domain problem, too.  The tradeoff might be: if
you are content with having your new domain be greylisted by default for
its first few hours/days/weeks, you don't need to buy accreditation.  If
you are impatient to start mailing people, you buy accreditation from a
registrar.  Over time this can evolve into a long-term signed-message
architecture which will make the .forward problem go away for good.