Re: how blacklisting will work in the future

2004-01-12 20:12:48
In
<2A1D4C86842EE14CA9BC80474919782E011132D4(_at_)mou1wnexm02(_dot_)vcorp(_dot_)ad(_dot_)vrsn(_dot_)com>
 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> writes:

I propose adding a mechanism to SPF to allow accreditation records to be
advertised. An acreditation record could work using the same DNS hack as
current day blacklists. The data structure for the accreditation entry would
be something like:

To a certain extent, this can be done right now.  Say you publish an
SPF record that says "v=spf1 mx exists:%{ir}.query.bondedsender.org -all".

A system could recognize the bondedsender.org DNSWL and skip the
graylisting, or add a bonus to the spam score or whatever.  Yeah, the
system would have to special case each DNSWL and decide whether it is
worth trusting or not, but the same is true for an accredit:
mechanism.

The bondedsender.org white list can be replaced by the Habeas HUL
whilelist or the-carrot-and-the-stick whitelist.  (I seem to recall
one other certified email system, but I can't recall the name.)

-wayne