RE: What is the QUERY_TYPE code for an SPF DNS look up?

2004-01-13 07:26:26
Chris,

Try 'dig aol.com txt'.  You'll see their SPF record.  I think that the draft
is looking forward to the time when SPF can have it's own record type.
There is no such provision now.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Drake [mailto:christopher(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 9:21 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] What is the QUERY_TYPE code for an SPF DNS
lookup?

Hi,

I happen to have written my own DNS, but I can't find mention of what
the new SPF query's Q_TYPE code is supposed to be - can anyone let me
know?

Needless to say - my version of "dig" doesn't know about SPF (yet?)

works:-
dig aol.com mx

fails:-
dig aol.com spf

Example - the existing query T_AAAA has the decimal code: 28

Lemme know if I totally don't understand. Here's the section of the
draft I got this idea from:-

   SPF makes use of the "SPF" DNS record type where it is available.
   Where it is not available, SPF falls back to the TXT record type.
   Throughout the remainder of this document, "SPF record" means the
   record found at either an SPF or TXT.

except the draft doesn't number the SPF record type anywhere that I
can see.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake