RE: New DNS record issue.

2004-01-16 08:11:20
Regardless of whether we make this change for SPF, we still need to do the
education.

I will circulate the paper I sent to the non-existent group yesterday to the
list. It describes other uses for the DNS to control spam and perform other
tasks.

One of the biggest here is a contact mechanism. If someone is sending spam
that purports to come from my domain I want to know about it - especially a
phishing event or a machine that has been captured and is sending out spam.

Of course any use of the contact mechanism would also require
authentication.

                Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Tranchant [mailto:mark(_at_)tranchant(_dot_)plus(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 10:04 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] New DNS record issue.

John Warren wrote:

I used zoneedit.com and they will not support the "_". That last
comment I got is that the "_" is not a legal character so
they will not
support it. If someone can prove to them that it is legal
they "may".
BTW, I think the blocking is in their web interface not the
DNS server.

You're right about the last bit. Try:

dig _http._tcp.billericaybaptist.net srv @ns14.zoneedit.com

and you get:

<snip>
;; ANSWER SECTION:
_http._tcp.billericaybaptist.net. 86400 IN SRV  0 0 80
billericaybaptist.net.
<snip>

I use them as a secondary, so they're successfully pulling
underscores
via AXFR from my primary.

--
Mark.
mark(_at_)tranchant(_dot_)plus(_dot_)com

To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,