Re: Solving the Forwarding Problem for good!!!

2004-01-19 15:27:24
On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:20:16PM -0800, John Warren wrote:

This will look like:

   From xyz(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld

I don't see why the above line was shown so I will ignore it.

Because we deal with RFC821 stuff here, this line is the result
of "mail from: <...>".

Bounces, if any, will go to <xyz(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld> and not to
<other(_at_)other(_dot_)tld>
According to some, this is unacceptable.

Why is this unacceptable? The sender "other(_at_)other(_dot_)tld" had their
message delivered to the correct address. If the message fails to
forward I don't think that the bounce message has or needs to go back
to the original sender since the message is still in the mailbox and
can be picked up by the user at a later date.

I happen to agree with you.  However, others think the bounce should
go to the original submitter, not the retransmitter.  They think this
is _the_ flaw of SPF.

Consider this:

   mail from: <xyz(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld>
   250 ...
   rcpt to: <pqr(_at_)isp(_dot_)tld>
   5xx mailbox full

Not to be picky but I think that mailbox full would be a 4XX to allow
for a retry. I do get the point though.

Oops :)  Glad you're not too picky but I do appreciate the feedback.
Note to self: check examples next time.

cheers,
Alex
--