RE: Solving the Forwarding Problem for good!!!

2004-01-19 19:25:11

I think that an unreasonably-high priority is being put on terminating the
message before full receipt.  The cost-factor may be high now, but once SPF
is more prevalent spammers will not send non-SPF-compliant emails knowing
that they will be simply deleted by the receiving system and therefore doing
it this way will eventually be worthless.  I'd rather we do it right in the
beginning than having less perfect system because one group of users sees it
more economically right now....

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Knaff [mailto:spf(_at_)misc(_dot_)lka(_dot_)org(_dot_)lu]
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 10:24 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com; John Warren;
spf-devel(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Solving the Forwarding Problem for good!!!

begin  Saturday 17 January 2004 16:14, John Warren quote:
SPF tests should always use the "Sender" if there present, not the
"From".

So the SPF check should work as follows.

If there is a "Sender" use it for checking and ignore the "From" else
use "From".

The problem with this approach (and others approaches based on header
fields, rather than the envelope) is that it forces the MTA to
actually accept the message, before being able to reject it.

With SPF as it stands now, the mail transaction can already be aborted
before a single byte of message data is transferred.

Alain

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)©#«Mo\¯HÝÜîU;±€Ö€Íµø?¡

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)©#«Mo\¯HÝÜîU;±€Ö€Íµø?¡