Re: RE: rejection at SMTP time?

2004-01-21 09:53:46
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:15:24AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:15:57PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

| > The problem with this approach (and others approaches based on header
| > fields, rather than the envelope) is that it forces the MTA to
| > actually accept the message, before being able to reject it.

to be precise, it doesn't require the MTA to accept it.  it requires the
MTA to transfer it, which is a bandwidth cost.  in theory the MTA can
still reject it at "." time.

Indeed.  One of these days I'm going to learn how to write what I think.

practically speaking, i hear there are a number of MTAs that treat all
"." time rejections as tempfail, and will retry.

This I did not now, but then again I'm not surprised either.

cheers,
Alex
--
begin  sig