Re: Calling ISPs: does bandwidth matter to your bottom line?

2004-01-21 11:36:00
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:04:31PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong asserted:
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 05:53:46PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

| > to be precise, it doesn't require the MTA to accept it.  it requires the
| > MTA to transfer it, which is a bandwidth cost.  in theory the MTA can
| > still reject it at "." time.
|
| Indeed.  One of these days I'm going to learn how to write what I think.

Could ISPs please weigh in on whether your email/spam bandwidth cost is
signicant or not, thanks.

Uhh, yeah...

Imagine having a big parking lot of your very own.  Now (we'll call him Mr.
Wallace) comes along and points out that even though you own the parking lot,
the law clearly states that unless you catch him as he attempts to park, you
may only politely ask the he not place his hoard of cars in your lot.  Of
course, being a law abiding citizen, you shoot him where he stands and...  (Oh
wait, I was dreaming again.)  When your lot fills with cars brought in by Mr.
Wallace, you find yourself with a decision:  Do you begin diligent monitoring
of entries into your lot (erect a gate?), purchase additional land to build
more lots that may suffer the same fate as the one you own now, or do you just
give up and resign to your fate as a victim because you know that you'll never
succeed in changing the political lanscape by yourself?

--

Bob Greene
Public key available at