RE: SPF story on news.com

2004-01-22 09:58:00
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Marc Alaia wrote:

Does anybody know if they are checking inbound messages?

I don't think they are.  Somebody joe-jobbed my domain sometime last week,
and all the bounces I get back to my postmaster address are from AOL.  I
have valid spf records.. if they were checking them inbound, they would
have rejected the joe-jobbed messages.

I really wish that they had been.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Gladding [mailto:tim(_at_)gladding(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 11:13 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] SPF story on news.com

http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5145065.html?tag=nefd_lede

AOL tests caller ID for e-mail
Last modified: January 22, 2004, 4:00 AM PST
By Stefanie Olsen
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

America Online is testing an antispam filter intended to accurately trace
the origin of e-mail messages, a move that could bring new accountability
to the Net if it proves reliable.

The online unit of media giant Time Warner last week implemented SPF, or
Sender Permitted From, an emerging authentication protocol for preventing
e-mail forgeries, or spoofing. The trial involves the company's 33 million
subscribers worldwide and is the first large-scale test for the protocol,
which standards groups are considering along with various other e-mail
verification proposals.