Re: Translating how-to and advocacy documents

2004-01-23 04:56:03
Julian Mehnle wrote:

I think you mean "the wiki would be a good place...".

I'm happy to have multiple versions of the wiki for various languages.

The english version is at:

http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/

and is now ready for public input.

I would suggest that translation *of the wiki* is done as follows:

1) Someone volunteers to do a language translation (please recall that wikis don't use HTML as input; editing must be done via the wiki in pmwiki-speak)

2) I replicate the content of SenderPermittedFrom to SPF<lang>
(eg, the German version will appear at
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SPFde/ and initially be entirely in english; it can then be translated piecewise without missing data)

3) Titles of Wiki Pages REMAIN IN ENGLISH. (You are welcome to put a 'local language' title at the top of the page as you translate it, but since the name of the page is also its URL, it is neccessary to keep this constant between branches). This is neccessary to prevent the different language variants from forking wildly into incompatible versions. I will code the SPF-Wiki to provide links to "this page in other languages", which will link pages of the same name and different languages together.

4) Someone who at least vaguely follows the relevant language volunteers to keep an eye on it to be sure it's still talking about SPF. I can cover German, French and Spanish on this basis, with a fair chance of following most western european languages. Ish.

If that's acceptable, please let me know and I'll make branches on request.

We need all web pages and documents to be versioned,

Timestamping will be re-enabled on the Wiki once I find the pmwiki variable that holds the relevant information. Or I can just stat the file.

        TTFN
                Wechsler