Re: OT: popfile

2004-01-22 11:09:16

On 22 Jan 2004 James Couzens <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Take a look at POPFile, this Bayesian system is keeping 99% of the spam
out of my inbox and it's FAR is currently 0.01%  ;-)

At a MASSIVE cost of cpu cycles.  I've tried running pfile on a celeron
466 system (256 mb ram) which ground to a halt after a couple weeks of
use, granted a decent level of mail traffic.  However, even on the
machine it runs on now, a 1.5Ghz Athlon it still graps 100% cpu during
mail grabs, slows them down extensively, in addition to taking in the
2-5 minute range of heavy disk and cpu activity at boot to bring the
daemon up.  It is very very effective though given about 30 days of
training the client i'm currently using on  work machine is around 99.7%
accurate now.  For me personally, were it my workstation, the incurred
delays and CPU use are far from acceptable.

Strange, I see very different levels of activity.  I do not know what
actual OS you are using here but I'm processing a lot of mail on a pretty
light weight system without this impact.

James

--
James Couzens,
Programmer

Obtain my public PGP key from:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search(_at_)#2?3A,BµR $pi&b

My current project(s):
http://libspf.org - C SPF library

Thomas R. Stephenson, CPL          Phone: (408) 742-3308
Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
MILSTAR Logistics Engineering O/M5-41  B/158
P.O. Box 61687 Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1687

Member Pegasus Mail Support Team

Thought for the day:
If Milli Vanilli falls down in the woods, does someone else
make a sound?