Re: Some thoughts on the XML thread...

2004-01-23 05:56:06
On Friday 23 January 2004 12:11 pm, Carsten Kuckuk wrote:
Let's step back and look at what happened:
- After the last Slashdot post, SPF records were created for thousands
of domains. In other words: The need for SPF is so great that people
started adoption even before SPF became an official standard. SPF is
being adopted.
- A Mystery Stakeholder (MS) has put an XML in DNS proposal on the
table, which is incompatible with the already adopted SPF records, and
whose acceptance would turn the early adoption of SPF into a fiasko
- The SPF community stopped everything else and talked about MS's
embrace and extend proposal for three full days
- At least 99% of the reactions on the list are against MS's proposal
on technical and security merrits
- The MS proposal has split the heads of SPF from the community

To me it looks like this has paralyzed SPF and if it gets incorporated
into "SPF 1.0" will be a slap in the face of early adoptors and has
the potential to kill SPF.

This is exactly what I was warning about. The MS's suggestion was only made in
order to put a spanner in the works. A surprise attack, a spear to the heart.

The only interpretation is as an act of war, and only a fool ignores such a
declaration in favour of the 'wishful thinking' that it may be of benefit
somehow. See my previous comment about appeasement.

I'd suggest declaring SPF 1.0 final, and start immediately with SPF2.0
where XML in DNS could be discussed. In this way, you wouldn't risk
losing what you already achieved, and the world would get a workable,
though not optimal solution that is available right now, and not in a
year or two.

Absolutely, declare SPF1 final now! The battle is joined and now is not the
time for polishing the troop's belt buckles.

Zero published records should be allowed to break from now on. Pick up the
gauntlet and begin the big push for adoption. We need implementation,
documentation and evangelism. We need to go on the offensive before they
muster their strength - attack the enemy's stronghold with easy adoption
routes for their existing customers, including both native implementations
and proxies.

WRT SPF2, there needs to be a period of free-form discussion concerning SPF2
whist the results/issues regarding SPF1 are collated. No need to start
speccing SPF2 yet, that would only prejudice the discussions.

- Dan