Re: Some thoughts on the XML thread...

2004-01-23 07:03:09
----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>
To: "SPF discussions" <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Some thoughts on the XML thread...

I call for closure on the ideas of XML and switching from
envelope-from checking to email header checking.

This could be read two ways:

a): You call for closure on the ideas of XML, and propose to switching from
envelope-from checking to email header checking.

b): You call for closure on BOTH the ideas of XML + closure on switching
from envelope-from checking to email header checking. Maybe we can revisit
the matter for SPF2.

I endorse option b) myself. We should no longer talk about switching from
envelope-from checking to email header checking either.

I want to reiterate, that I really think we should work on getting SPF
adopted "as is". SPF has gained unexpected momentum over the last week (in
that we now have a lot more domains registered than we dreamed possible the
other week). If we start to renegotiate core aspects of SPF, then we are
guaranteed to lose that momentum again, and we're back to square one.

Setting aside malice for a moment, then, the way I see it, the only reason
MS is jumping into the fray, is because they deem SPF a potential, and
likely, winner. If anything, we should take their interest in SPF, and use
it to bolster our self-confidence and resolve in pushing forward the current
specs. What we should most certainly NOT do, is embark upon a path of
effectively dismantling SPF and looking then for new ways to piece the
fragments together again.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---