RE: SPF design refrozen

2004-01-23 19:45:15
Actually if we were going to make a major change to syntax we SHOULD rev the
version number so this is not really an issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Meng Weng Wong [mailto:mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 6:10 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] SPF design refrozen

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 04:22:13PM -0600, Jeremy Doupe wrote:

| As an ISP representative, I would agree that SPF filtering
should take
| place prior to DATA, however, I don't think the spec should mandate
| where filtering is to be done.  That should be left up to the
| implementer (since that is probably going to happen anyway).

OK, the people have spoken.  SPF v1 is frozen, and filtering will be
possible before DATA, unlike certain alternatives now under
consideration by the major ISPs.

The discussion of envelope versus header processing is over.

SPF will also retain its current form.  If XML compatibility
is needed,
it will be accommodated using an xml= modifier.

The discussion of XML formatting is over.

I apologize for any unhappiness caused by these issues.  I don't like
reexamining decisions like this, especially once the design has been
declared frozen.  Now it has been refrozen.

You don't want to take ice cream out of the freezer and then
put it back
in: do that too many times and it won't taste any good.

I hope that people understand that this decision means we'll
alienate a
major stakeholder and we'll have to rely on ... everybody else.
"Everybody else" may be easier to convince of SPF's correctness, but
there are a lot more of them.

To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,