Re: version strings

2004-01-25 10:11:45
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:36:32AM -0600, wayne wrote:

| Once upon a time, I advocated using v=spf<major>.<minor>, but I'm no
| longer so hot on the idea.  Minor versions are generally used when
| compatible changes are made, while major versions are for incompatible
| changes.  However, the only purpose of changing the version number in
| the SPF records is to note that incompatible changes in the spec have
| been made.
|

| Ok, the truth is that I could easily live with just about any version
| number system, as long as it is reasonably short.

I'm interested in the extensibility thing --- suppose a domain wants to
say

  I do both designated-sender and DK authentication.  I already have the
  DS stuff in there, but now I want to be able to experiment with DK.  I
  want to publish two forms of records, so that clients that read DK will
  only evaluate that, and not the IP.

  I want to be able to say

    v=spf1 a mx -all
    v=spf1.x-dk dk -all

  And clients that are x-dk aware would ignore the first line.

If we can unambiguously specify that version extensions are to be
ignored by strict spf interpreters, that leaves room open for
innovation.