Re: SPF in MTAs

2004-01-25 10:07:57
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:32:15AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

| Trying to get D.J. Bernstein to do it might produce comic results.
| But Russ Nelson has already produced a "net-qmail" distribution of
| qmail with patches, in essence forking qmail.  He might be more open
| to SPF.

Russ, here's the argument in a nutshell:

  DK lets a domain say: "if dk signature present, is legitimate".
  Domains also need to say: "if dk signature not present, is forgery".

  Otherwise spammers could just continue business as usual and the value
  of a DK signature would be diluted by lack of confidence.

  DK is strictly an authentication mechanism.  SPF is a policy framework.
  DK can't make that assertion.  SPF can.  SPF complements DK.
  So let's work together.

In email to me, Mark Delany, the system architect at Yahoo behind DK,
agreed:

    | > SPF will do IP based, DK, and accreditation.  is that OK with you?
    |
    | Sure. You can make SPF do anything you want :>
    |
    | More seriously, yes, it looks like the world will need some sort of
    | email policy doc that contains that sorts of things, including the
    | possiblity of jurisdictional and reputation tags.

Specifically, if DK ever gets off the ground, I expect to make use of
SPF's built-in extensibility to add a "dk" mechanism that means a domain
always sends with DK signatures.  Even if an existing client doesn't
grok "dk" it will accept the message by design.

Russ, if you are agreeable, I would like to discuss putting some form of
SPF support into the next release of net-qmail.