SPF advocacy

2004-01-25 08:59:17
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 08:55:11AM +0000, Wechsler wrote:

| We *all* need to start pushing SPF hard, now; this probably means we
| need press releases for the mainstream media, as well as grass-roots
| advocacy.

We need to get the draft done, too.  I'm working on that today.

We also need some kind of corporate backer.  We need someone to fund SRS
patches.  And we need a comprehensive help system that walks people
through the process of adding SPF/SRS plugins to their MTA.

I emailed LaMont Jones, maintainer of the Debian Postfix package.  He
said he'd prefer not to depart from the source distribution.

I emailed Wietse Venema, author of Postfix.  He said, basically, that he
didn't like SPF because it breaks forwarding, that "those who attempt to
reinvent SMTP are doomed to do it poorly", and "I am not an SPF
developer and have no plans to become one."

Eric Allman says he finds the SPF syntax "baroque", but admitted he
wasn't too hot on the idea of XML either.

So the old guard don't even think there's anything wrong with SMTP ---
spam is just a social problem.  So is breaking and entering, but that
doesn't stop people from locking their doors.

How can convince people that SPF is the lesser of two evils?

Press releases will help.

Grass-roots advocacy will help.  Let's keep spreading the word in
technical forums.

Getting SPF into the source distribution of all four MTAs will help a
huge amount, and that's something I'd like to see done in the coming
week.  Who's connected to the MTA communities?