Re: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-01-27 07:33:20
In
<0A78B84D9FDBFE41A53D4389657AACA0BB4E44(_at_)radon(_dot_)vidius(_dot_)co(_dot_)il>
 "Arik Baratz" <arikb(_at_)vidius(_dot_)co(_dot_)il> writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: wayne [mailto:wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com]

Adding the Return-Path: header is not required and many MTAs don't do
it.  Some use Sender: instead, some many use things like
Envelope-From:.  I forget all the variations.

To me it seems like it IS required. From RFC2821 section 4.4:

This is very good news, thanks for the correction!

If an MTA doesn't support it, it must be reported as a non-compliance
issue to the maintainer.

Unfortunately, a quick review of NANAS shows that a large percentage
(30-50%) of the posts there do not have a Return-Path: header.  So,
whether it is required or not, you can't depend on having it.

-wayne

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage