Re: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-01-28 11:01:12

Ernesto Baschny writes:
On 27 Jan 2004 at 20:24, Arik Baratz wrote:

How about I fire up a mail message to some of my sysadmin friends,
and ask them to specify which mailer they use and test for the existance
of the header on my behalf, and you do the same. I can test qmail,
postfix and exchange myself:

qmail    1.03     - compliant
postfix  2.0.12   - compliant
Exchange 2000 SP3 - compliant
Exchange 5.5 SP4  - compliant

sendmail 8.12.x - compliant
exim 3.36       - compliant

I guess most conventional MTAs will be "compliant" anyway...

BTW a very helpful addition to support MUAs and MUA-level filters
getting at the envelope from, would be if this was added to the
Received headers, e.g.

        by amgod.boxhost.net (envelope-from
        <owner-spf-discuss(AT)v2.listbox.com>) (Postfix) with ESMTP id
        12CE931024F for <jm(AT)jmason.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2004
        08:54:19 +0000 (GMT)

This would allow filters like SpamAssassin to pick up the envelope-from
used at each step of the chain, which is very valuable especially when
intermediate steps tend to rewrite it.  (For example, fetchmail makes some
incorrect assumptions, and will add an *incorrect* Return-Path header if
an X-Envelope-From header exists, even from an earlier handover.)

If I recall correctly, some versions of exim seem to support this.

We already have support for this in SpamAssassin -- we detect it
using this regexp matched against Received lines:

        /envelope-(?:sender|from)[ =](\S+)\b/

If you know of an MTA package that will add the envelope-sender data to
the Received header, or can write a configuration stanza to add to config
files to do this in any given MTA, please add a note about it on this
page:

http://wiki.spamassassin.org/w/EnvelopeSenderInReceived

- --j.

Wiki: