RE: Is Return-Path as available as we think?

2004-01-27 02:47:21

-----Original Message-----
From: wayne [mailto:wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com]

[snip]

Adding the Return-Path: header is not required and many MTAs don't do
it.  Some use Sender: instead, some many use things like
Envelope-From:.  I forget all the variations.

To me it seems like it IS required. From RFC2821 section 4.4:

   When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
   message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
   data.  This use of return-path is required; mail systems MUST support
   it.  The return-path line preserves the information in the <reverse-
   path> from the MAIL command.  Here, final delivery means the message
   has left the SMTP environment.  Normally, this would mean it had been
   delivered to the destination user or an associated mail drop, but in
   some cases it may be further processed and transmitted by another
   mail system.

If an MTA doesn't support it, it must be reported as a non-compliance
issue to the maintainer.

Anyway, like I replied to the original poster, Exchange 2000 does
support this header. I can do some tests on Exchange 5.5 and get
back to the list if it's ain't there.

-- Arik

This email and attachments have been scanned for
potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

PortAuthority(TM)  Server
Keeping Information Inside
Vidius, Inc.
www.vidius.com