Re: Summary: Current state of SPF

2004-01-29 09:38:51
wayne wrote:

In <40192CAF(_dot_)8010401(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> Wechsler
<wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> writes:

Extensibility:

* http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html states that third party
* mechanisms and modifiers are permitted.

I think that web page is out of date, ambigous and wasn't even brought
up to date with the "frozen" spec that came out in Dec.

Oh. Bother (said Pooh).

* Merging with another standard MAY provide a need to modify the
* syntax of either SPF or a subsequent protocol, but we have, as yet,
* no concrete ideas on what those standards might be, or the timescale
* for merging.

I think Meng has seen and read most of these other proposed
standards.

He may well have, but not everyone has had that chance, and knowledge locked away in Meng's head does not allow the rest of us to discuss things any more clearly.

MS Caller-ID addresses a slightly different issue than SPF and is in
some ways compatible.  MS could rip out a few parts of Caller-ID (the
XML in DNS stuff) and use SPF instead.  It would then be an ok (but
not great) spec for verifying email headers.  I think a far better
spec could be written, but if MS is willing to put Caller-ID (with XML
replaced with SPF) into all of their email systems, then I would be
quite happy with it.

CID appears to me to throw away far too much of SPF's power to be really worthwhile. But that may just be a personal opinion.

Before reading the websites, read the latest SPF spec draft.

Good plan.

Work needed:

* 'Perfection' of SPF-MTA patches and code libs
* Advocacy
* Examination and critique of SRS
* SRS patches for all major MTAs
* Testing

Swap the ordering of "testing" and "advocacy" around.  We don't need
more advocacy right now, we need to make sure what we have is right.

No meaning was intended in the order there, but that's true.

        Thanks,
                Wechsler

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage