Re: Summary: Current state of SPF

2004-01-29 10:37:34
In <40193B70(_dot_)8010009(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> Wechsler
<wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> writes:

wayne wrote:

In <40192CAF(_dot_)8010401(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> Wechsler
<wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> writes:

Extensibility:

* http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html states that third party
* mechanisms and modifiers are permitted.
I think that web page is out of date, ambigous and wasn't even
brought
up to date with the "frozen" spec that came out in Dec.

As far as I can see my above statement and comments about undefined
mods and mechs are valid to the spec:

Y> http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf.02.9.5.txt

I think "encounters" means "received an SPF record", rather than "a
token in the SPF record when parsing left to right."

I think implementations of SPF MUST check for all syntax errors.  It
MAY check for things like missing records in include:, recursion depth
limits, etc.

-wayne

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage