Re: Summary: Current state of SPF

2004-01-29 10:36:03
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:50:35PM +0000, Wechsler wrote:

If I reach an extension that is not implemented by me
then the end result is an 'unknown'.

To me, an unknown is the same as "?all" or an absent record.

Yes but "v=spf1 a/24 mx ?all" is not the same as "v=spf1 ?all". The A
and MX rules in the examples give me a chance to get a + before I hit
the PGP.

Sure.  I was just commenting on what I read when I see 'unknown'.

The problem I'm having is "-all" effectively changing to "?all"
only because of a non-standard feature.

I do understand _why_ this is considered desirable.  I'm not
arguing to alter the behaviour.  I'm just saying it is not the
first thing I would think of.

It took some time for me to spot the difference between handling
unknown modifiers and unknown extensions.

It also took some time for me to rewire my brain so that it accepted
that "-all" is not used in that example I commented on.

Without meaning to be arrogant: I think that if I had problems grasping
it the first time, many will as well.  The implications of using an
extension should, IMHO, be printed in bold, large fontsize.

OK *intended* default is -all, but the record creator is happy for those
not implementing PGP to use a "fallback default" of ?all - but an

This is an assumption.  I'm sure *some* will not be happy at all, would they
know what they did.

Is there a way of specifying, unambiguously, what the behaviour should be
when an extension is not implemented?

By the way, this one also took me by surprise:

quote from site:
 Suppose example.net's SPF record were "v=spf1 a +all".

 This unusual record would mean "allow all clients
 except those matching the A record for example.net".

At first, I just assumed a minus sign was missing.  However,
after reading too fast earlier on, I'm not sure anymore.

cheers,
Alex
--
begin  sig