Re: Summary: Current state of SPF

2004-01-29 15:40:22
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:11:02PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:02:32PM +0100, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
| "SPF-record  = version *( 1*SP ( declaration | modifier ) )"

thanks, fixed.

Sorry to have bothered you with this.  Of course it wasn't right
but I realized this too late... (see next)

| Does this mean "v=spf1" is legal but irrelevant?

It gets chopped out once processing begins.  If it didn't get chopped
out, it'd be an unrecognized modifier and ignored anyway.

It can be avoided altogether:

"SPF-record  = version 1*( 1*SP ( declaration | modifier ) )"

Also please note I am not experienced in this notation.  You
better check it before accepting it.

Some minor issues in the draft:

       Received-SPF: none (mybox.example.org: myname(_at_)example(_dot_)com does
                           not designated permitted sender hosts)

I think you want "does not designate permitted sender hosts"
or even "does not designate permitted sending hosts"

   "v=spf1 ptr -all"
        -- sending host 192.168.1.65 passes
                (reverse IP is valid and in example.com)
        -- sending host 192.168.2.140 fails

                (reverse IP is valid, but not in example.com)
        -- sending host 10.0.0.4 fails (reverse IP is not valid)

the blank line seems to be an error. Also, I'd put that last
comment on the next line just to be consistent.

cheers,
Alex
--
begin  sig