Draft finalization issues

2004-01-29 13:44:04
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:22:50AM -0600, wayne wrote:

| > ["slushy" spec, clamouring to get changes in before finalization, etc.]
|
| I agree that this is a problem.  I don't think this is a problem that
| will ever fully go away.  Every spec/standard can be changed if enough
| people want it and if enough people think it is worth the change.

Once the boat stops rocking I will submit it as an Internet Draft for
publication as an Experimental RFC.

| From what I know of DomainKeys, it is a non-starter.  It breaks huge
| amounts of stuff compared with SPF, is far more expensive than SPF,
| it doesn't solve any problems that SPF doesn't, and it doesn't have an
| installed base that competes with SPF.  DomainKeys should be written
| off, although maybe other ideas of using public-key stuff would be
| useful.

When the Domain Keys proposal was last reviewed, somebody brought up
RFC3183 and everybody said, "hmmm, yeah, we all need to read that first
before we comment any further on DK".

| MS Caller-ID addresses a slightly different issue than SPF and is in
| some ways compatible.  MS could rip out a few parts of Caller-ID (the
| XML in DNS stuff) and use SPF instead.  It would then be an ok (but
| not great) spec for verifying email headers.  I think a far better
| spec could be written, but if MS is willing to put Caller-ID (with XML
| replaced with SPF) into all of their email systems, then I would be
| quite happy with it.

ASTA wants one IP-based proposal and one crypto-based proposal.

Right now there are two IP-based proposals, C-ID and SPF.

ASTA wants us to converge.  I think we can do this.  That's why I'm
talking to MS.  I'm optimistic we can come up with a single story we can
tell users.  We don't want to tell them one thing for checking the
envelope and another thing for checking the headers.

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage