RE: [OT]Frozen or slushy?

2004-01-29 09:53:21
Personally I find the current prefix highly idosyncratic. I
would have made it
"SPF:1.0" to signify "this is an SPF record, version 1.0"

It is not a version indicator. It is simply a discriminator.

There will be an SPF 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 etc. but there is very little probability
that the indicator will ever change.

The behavior arround unknown mechanism should probably be thought through a
bit.

Unknown mechanism = error is not the best approach if you want
extensibility.

The big 6 definitely want extensibility. If SPF as currently written does
not give it to them, they will either rewrite SPF or they will chose
something else.

Remember that if SPF goes into any form of standards process everything is
on the table for negotiation. That is one reason to avoid starting a
standards process, uncertainty is not a plus.

But the industry is going to demand extensibility, that is the way that the
system works.

        Phill

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage