Re: Duh... now what

2004-02-02 16:23:15

Some time ago I "renamed" a box (more precise, I discontinued it and put another
one in place).  I setup a CNAME pointing to the new name.  So far so good.

CNAMEs and MX records are a very bad combination. There are at least 3 ways that they can be combined, 2 of which are invalid, one is valid but may cause problems. So the best thing to do is not use the CNAME. I don't bother trying to remember which type is allowed -- your best bet, if you really want to keep the CNAME, is to go through the RFCs to figure out if the way you want to set it up is allowed.
                                   -Scott

---

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt