Re: SPF and mydoom

2004-02-03 22:13:20
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:37:28PM +0000, Wechsler wrote:
| MyDoom spoofs its sender addresses at least some of the time.
| It also sends through its own SMTP engine, rather than ISPs' servers.
|
| Both of these make it exactly the sort of virus against which SPF would
| be most effective.
|
| We can't knock them all out but we'd have slowed this one right down.

Overheard on RISKS:

  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/23.17.html

    The volume of bounces and directs together makes clear that
    MyDoom uses these made-up addresses both for From: and To: addresses.

    It is worth noting that the vast majority of MyDoom traffic contains
    spoofed From: and From_ (sender) information.  Implementation of
    something like Sender Permitted From (SPF) could have stopped most of
    these in their tracks. MyDoom has effectively converted me into an SPF
    evangelist - because if the history of worms has shown us anything, it's
    that once a technique is shown to be useful to worms, it isn't RISK that
    it will show up again - it is pretty much certain.

    Anyone who argues that there are too many RISKs with something like SPF
    will have to provide me with a good alternative.

  Chris Smith    Tue, 3 Feb 2004 02:12:49 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt