Re: Some SPF concerns/questions

2004-02-06 07:01:38
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alain Knaff" <spf(_at_)misc(_dot_)lka(_dot_)org(_dot_)lu>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 9:26 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Some SPF concerns/questions

/usr/lib/milters/spf-milter
-l 'exists:%{ir}.local-trusted-forwarders.your.domain.com' mail

Granted, this is not yet accessible on a per-end-user basis, but smart
use of macros should allow to set this up. Oh, wait, there is no macro
yet for current-receiver!

I believe there are two good reasons for that:

1): A macro for "current recipient" would be largely undefined, as it would
only be available within certain callback contexts (only perhaps as of
envrcpt_callback, where its value would have to be reset for each
envrcpt_callback, and would then remain "stuck" on the last recipient in
envrcpt_callback for all subsequent callbacks).

2): There is no reliable way to determine the "end-user" from an email
address. In sendmail terminology, there is no immediate and clear
relationship between the "controlling address" (the recipient email address)
and the "controlling user" (the end-user on the system). Especially with
alias expansion. Basically, sendmail tries to "resolve" each recipient
exhaustively (to a certain depth), via aliases, virtmaps, etc, until it
finds the true controlling user: the user on whose behalf the mail is being
delivered. That is why sendmail defines the "controlling user" in terms of
delivery: "the name of the user whose credentials we use for delivery".

Against my better judgment, I performed a small test nonetheless, to see
whether $u (controlling user) might already be defined, for a single
recipient, at envrcpt_callback:

O Milter.macros.envrcpt=u, {rcpt_mailer}, {rcpt_host}, {rcpt_addr}

But, of course, it was not. Nor do I see how it could be, even, as sendmail,
when making its Milter callbacks, is simply nowhere near the delivery stage
yet.

Meng, can we add one to the spec?

Well, those were two reasons I could come up with; I'm sure Meng had a few
deliberations of his own for not defining a 'current-receiver' macro.

Cheers,

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---