Re: softfail considered harmful

2004-02-18 08:37:46
On Wednesday 18 February 2004 13:28, wayne wrote:
I disagree with this assesment.  Remember, we can't force domain
owners to publish SPF records.  It is my opinion that the jump from
neutral to fail is too large.  Large companies/ISP need to be able to
give their users some warning before they switch from neutral to
fail.  While memos and such can help, automated systems that add
warnings when a softfail is detected can play a very important part.

It is equally possible for a company to tag mail that would fail with a
message "this message would have been rejected if SPF was being enforced".
Softfail is not required for this.

OTOH, it is better to reject a mail rather than accept it and then shove it
somewhere where it will never be seen. My point is that this is what softfail
appears to be intended to encourage.

- Dan