Re: softfail considered harmful

2004-02-18 09:28:53
On Wednesday 18 February 2004 13:23, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
Example:

You send mail to me.  Your domain has an SPF record with softfail. I filter
based on this softfail.
_I_ receive your message encapsulated in one generated by _my_ server. This
message tells _me_ what is going to happen.
Now, if you would be a spammer, I'd just ignore you and wait for the domain
to switch to "-all".  However, would you be a legitimate sender, I would
contact you and pass the message to you.

What is the point of this encapsulation? You still need to read the message to
determine if it is spam, yes?

If you are just as likely to read these 'encapsulated' messages, then there is
no effective difference, in terms of your time wasted, between 'softfail' and
'accept'.

If you are less likely to read these 'encapsulated' messages, then my comments
about 'fuzzy deletion' apply.

I suspect most people will not take the time to read these encapsulated
messages since most of them will be spam. Just like emptying your junk mail
folder without reading each one.