Re: Sendmail.com announces they are working on DomainKeys with Yahoo

2004-02-24 16:42:27
----- Original Message -----
From: "Meng Weng Wong" <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Sendmail.com announces they are working on
DomainKeys with Yahoo

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:47:24PM +0000, Mark wrote:

I'd like to point out, that with the new map "socket" in sendmail 8.13,
SPF checks in sendmail (with an SPF daemon running) will essentially be
as fast as a DNSBL lookup. The same goes for SRS.

I think the significance of this should not be underestimated. Because
it means, just as with DNSBL lookups, made from within sendmail.cf,
there is no longer a need/desire even, to come up with C patches to the
source.

Personally, I would not be surprised if sendmail had complex lookups
(code-wise) of our kind in mind, when they introduced the new "socket"
map.

That's great news!  Does it mean we don't need a milter anymore?

Yes. :) All we'd need is one or two lines in a ruleset; that's it.

You would not even need to run your own, local, SPF daemon. A TCP/IP socket
query could be made to a centralized SPFBL, like you do with any other
DNSBL.

The news of the new map "socket" probably escaped the attention of many, as
it did with me, but it will really mean a significant step forward.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,