Re: cost comparison of Caller-ID, DK, and SPF

2004-02-25 10:19:29
In <20040225170730(_dot_)GX27676(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

                       DomainKeys       Caller-ID            SPF
sender MTAs             upgrade             -                 -

It is my understanding that Caller-ID requires sender MTAs to upgrade
to flag their boarder MTAs.  Otherwise, they can't
correctly/accurately parse the Received: headers.

forwarders                 -             upgrade           upgrade

I'm not certain that DomainKeys won't need changes to forwarders.  The
little technical info that I've seen on the subject says near the
beginning that "forwarders aren't effected", and then much later in
the "issues that need addressing", it lists problems with forwarders.

The devil is in the details here.  Until such time as the DomainKey
spec is public and put in to use in real-world situations, I don't
think we will know for sure how it will work.  I guess that also goes
for Caller-ID.  SPF has had limited real-world testing, and has had to
adapt to some of the things we found because of it.

Finally, I don't know if you have included it, but you should also
look at SRS+callbacks.  It has quite a few advantages, but it has some
disadvantages that will prevent some people from using it.

-wayne