Re: cost comparison of Caller-ID, DK, and SPF

2004-02-25 10:59:37

Meng Weng Wong writes:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:43:15PM +0100, Ernesto Baschny wrote:

| Meng, could you write up a comparison table between Caller-ID and SPF? I
| have seen plenty of similarities and some crucial differences. You could
| also weight the (dis)advantages of each difference.

I am doing a comparison table between all the antispam technologies I
know of.  I'm about a third of the way through and hope to finish it by
the end of this week.

Missing one set of interested parties...

Meanwhile here's a condensed version of the analysis.

The important factors are:

- what is it selling?
- can it make good on its promises?
- what is the implementation cost?
- what is the deployment cost for the sender?
- - what is the deployment cost for mailing list servers?
- what is the deployment cost for the receiver?
- what fraction of the internet needs to play along?
- what do the end-user humans have to do?

-------

if we somewhat arbitrarily segment the internet into the following eight
sectors, this is the cost grid: (view in a monospaced font)

                      DomainKeys       Caller-ID            SPF
sender humans    all have to configure their MUAs to do SMTP AUTH when they
roam
sender MUAs                -                -                 -
sender MTAs             upgrade             -                 -
sender ISPs         publish,configure    publish           publish
forwarders                 -             upgrade           upgrade
mailing lists            upgrade             -                 -
receiver MTAs          (upgrade)        (upgrade)          upgrade
receiver MUAs          (upgrade)         upgrade*             -
receiver humans            -             examine              -

This added because DK hashes the message body, and some mailing list
software (MailMan for example, or this list) modifies the body,
which will cause DK failures.

- --j.