how the board might look a few moves ahead

2004-02-25 12:16:58
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:53:07PM +0000, Fridrik Skulason wrote:

| Assuming authentication is generally adopted (SPF, Caller-ID or whatever),
| the question is how will spam "evolve" in response?  That is perhaps a bit
| off-topic for the SPF list, but we should keep those scenarios in mind.

Yes, this is an important line of thinking.

| First, and most obviously, spammers will use more "disposable domains",
| hoping to get the spam out before the domains are blacklisted.  Getting
| a new domain is trivial and cheap.  *However*, getting a new IP block
| is not.  If spam evolves along this route, I imagine there will be more
| emphasis on IP-based RBLs, blocking the sites hosting those disposable
| domains until they clean up their act.

My previous thoughts on this issue include:

  http://spf.pobox.com/faq.html#churn

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200311/0118.html

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200401/1505.html

| For now I am just finishing the SPF records for our own domains - which
| has taken a bit longer than expected, and we are looking at
| implementing SPF checking in our AVES virus/spam filtering technology
| (aves.f-prot.com).  I expect to have some numbers in the near future
| on how much spam (and worms) SPF actually stops.

I'm glad to hear f-prot is adding support.

cheers
meng